What is Afternoon Tea?
Afternoon tea once was a meal that filled a gap and infused itself into daily routines and social rituals. National Afternoon Tea Month in April celebrates the history, food, and culture surrounding this nostalgic pastime.
Afternoon Tea is rooted in British culture and began in the 1840s as private events for royalty and wealthy women. In the 1900s, the occasion developed into a popular ritual among others to stave off hunger until dinner time. Nowadays, Afternoon Tea is reserved for special occasions.
Tea Tea and Company hopes to revive a time-honored tradition with a month-long celebration.
Reimagining a Fading Tradition
As our routines changed, we began to eat the supper meal earlier and earlier. Busy lifestyles, travel, and two-income households have eliminated the need for afternoon tea.
Afternoon tea parties are still hosted around the world. National Afternoon Tea Month is a chance to reimagine this ritual. Afternoon tea has evolved into a time to unplug and connect to what really matters in our always-on busy lives. It is a great time to stop and share with the people that matter or check in on a friend!
The mood is healthy, reflective, enlightening, and rejuvenating with tea, your favorite fruit/food, and your inner circle. Afternoon tea is an automatic or forced break to center ourselves with ritual, refreshment, relaxation, and recreation with others.
- Stress Response - Take a pause with meditation, reflection, and realignment during afternoon tea time.
- Healthy Lifestyle & Connection - Use tea as a life enhancer and community builder during afternoon tea time.
- Afternoon Tea Rituals & Tea history - Share reimagined rituals, share the history of tea and develop unique ritual facts for you and your family
- TEA today - Awards and fun contests - share tea blends, tea recipes, and publicity of your favorite tea shops and family awards.
Create an Afternoon Tea Activity
At its core, we believe that Afternoon Tea is unplugging from the business of life to connect. It is sometimes set aside in the day to connect, ponder and improve your life. People drink healthy teas, which help enhance their health while engaging in activities designed to enhance their mental health through meditation, social connection, and thoughtful experiences. Here are some ideas and concepts for how this activity can be achieved
- Special menu options at tea rooms, coffee shops, and cafes
- Special events at business, church, or social group
- Virtual sessions with friends and family
- Discussing and sharing insights from health and wellness experts
- Meditation break with special teas and blends
- Family Time to connect and check-in unplugged
- Choose an event from our suggested calendars of activities https://bit.ly/30WaystoAfternoonTea